- 1 lb Pork Belly
- 2 Tbsp chopped shallots or red onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp sliced bird chili (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut caramel sauce
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 C water
- 1 tsp black pepper
- cilantro and/or scallions
1. Cut pork belly into bite size pieces. Marinate pork, shallots, garlic, chili, and caramel sauce for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a clay pot, or medium pan, cook marinated pork on high heat until fat starts to render, about 5 minutes. Add fish sauce and water, bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir periodically add more water if reduction is happening before the pork belly is cooked. Sauce should be thick and glossy. Add black pepper and taste.
This dish is on the saltier side and is usually accompanied by canh cải xanh (mustard green soup) and steamed rice. My mom would make this dish was made using many different proteins; shrimp, salmon, catfish, chicken, or even mushrooms. Cooking times will vary from protein to protein, but the depth of flavor should remain the same from the ingredients and cooking method.